CHBA - Lethbridge Region
Great growth opportunity for the right candidate! The Canadian Home Builders Association Lethbridge Region is in search of an Event Planner & Administrative Assistant. This entry level position is suitable for someone who is dynamic, outgoing and enjoys interacting with others. An optimistic outlook, a dedicated work ethic and a desire to learn every day will provide the ideal candidate with a great foundation for growth in a very high profile industry. This position is primarily Monday – Friday 8 – 4:30 however, events take place in the evening so a few hours per month in the evening are required. A reliable vehicle is a must. Please see the job description below for more details. Cover letter, resume and references can be emailed to:
Executive Officer – CHBA LR
Dropped off in person at 14 – 495 WT Hill Blvd South Lethbridge
Event Planner & Administrative Assistant – Entry Level Position
Membership Services Manager
Hours of work
Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and evenings as required
- Outgoing personality/highly sociable
- Must believe in a workplace culture of inclusion, accountability and working toward collective goals
- Ability to take direction and constructive criticism
- Must be able to adapt to change
- High level of interest in planning events such as golf tournaments, awards ceremonies etc.
- Ability to focus on many projects/events at one time
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize in fast paced environment
- Must be proficient in all Microsoft Office applications
- Reliable vehicle
- Ability to work evenings as required to facilitate events
- Grade 12 diploma minimum
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications preferred
- Experience in event planning and working in a professional environment an asset but wiling to train the right personality.
- Plan, coordinate and carry-out all services for events throughout the year within set budget & guidelines
- Create program and organize event flow
- Ordering food for events, booking venues
- Event location set-up, sign-up, registrations, and take-down
- Organizes and manages volunteers for events
- Advertise events to membership
- Create and send invitations
- Track attendance
- Offer suggestions and ideas to management that fall within the instructed scope of the event
- General reception duties
- Answer phones and emails
- Greet guests
- Prepare meeting minutes
- Prepare board room for meetings/light cleaning
- Maintain meeting calendar
- Other support to Executive Officer and Membership Services Manager as required
Canadian Home Builders Association Partners with School District 51 for hands on training
February 25, 2015 – Coaldale, AB
February 25, 2015 marked the official launch date of another unique partnership between the Canadian Home Builders Association (CHBA) and local youth in support of trades training. The CHBA partnered with Lethbridge School District 51 to create a day long training session for students to get a real life look at every step that is taken when building a home. Students donned hard hats, safety boots (courtesy of LaFarge) and faced the chilly wind to learn firsthand; right from the development of a community to the finishing touches in house, exactly what it takes to create the homes we all live in.
Stranville Living, a member of the CHBA stepped up to make this experience possible for the students. Dell Mathews, General Manager of Stranville Living was on site, explaining each step of construction as well as all of the other aspects involved that many people may not think about. Dell was happy to report that, “Stranville Living is very pleased to have the opportunity to partner with the Canadian Home Builders Association – Lethbridge Region and Lethbridge School District 51 and enjoyed hosting high school students on a tour of construction sites in our Westgate Landing development in Coaldale. Both the Career Practitioners and the students in attendance were engaged in the tour and had many questions about a potential career in the construction trades. From the surveying and development of land all the way through the interior design and marketing of new homes, the opportunities in our industry are endless and in high demand. We certainly want to encourage students at a young age to explore as many options for their future as possible and look forward to continuing our partnership with the CHBA – Lethbridge Region and the high schools in our region.”
Andrew Krul, the Off Campus Education Facilitator for Lethbridge School District 51 was among the school practitioners who joined in for the tour and commented, " Students have no idea how many trades are involved in building a home; the tour, which covered houses in various stages of completion, made them aware the complexity of building a home and the trades opportunities that are available."
Angela Zuba, Executive Officer of the CHBA commented on the partnership by saying, “It was notable that an equal mix of both male and female students was present and that shows the community that perception of the trades is changing in a positive way. A career in the trades can be very rewarding and quite lucrative as many journeymen trade people work their way into owning their own business and become quite successful. It all starts with the desire to create something meaningful, such as a home.
Zuba went on to mention, “The Association recognizes the importance of shedding positive light on how important trades are to the economic growth and viability of a community and that is why they are always contributing to education is various ways.”
The program was viewed as very successful by all parties and is predicted to run well into the future.